По умолчанию Re: Ответ: About the Tchaikovsky competition and piano in particular

No Boris. I am using the HighDonwload program. Very easy to use but not, we cannot download the past days. I have a few days, but its hard to get up in the morning. But the SECOND ROUND of VIOLIN and PIANO I will get even if I have to sleep next to the computer. I insist that the Violin is looking much better. Shishkov Artem was a revelation I think. But I will stop talking about the Violin here. I will really pay attention to the Piano second round and maybe even get my visas ready, in case I decide to go to the finals. Jose

По умолчанию Well, you may be right !

She is just pain "mere" which is not a complement. Mere good, in my opinion, is worse than bad. A Bad pianist is at least bad and we all know if bad. A "mre good" who thinks is great, is worse. I think, but I agree with you.

По умолчанию Fairness and sports

It is is interesting to follow the discussions on this site and to listen to the musiicians over the internet (Thanks for the link to the media player, Boris!) Unfortunately my Russian is not good enough to bother you all with badly expressed postings in Russian language, especially since my computer has no character set in Russian, but I can understand almost everything what is said.

The question if the competition is fair to those who take part in it, is certainly an important question! Is it worth spending thousands of hours to prepare for a competition and then just being neglected or unfairly treated? I fear that this is the case, but it is not the problem of the Moscow Tchaikovsky Competition, but for almost any competition. The problem begins already in the preselection, and there, in most cases, the question of relationship with the right teachers is simply very important. No need to blame those students who decide to chose their teacher not only for for artistic reasons, but in regard to a future competition. They know that for a successful career one needs more than talent. I remember when I still lived in Germany, it was said that almost every ambitious piano student should absolutely go to Hannover, where most of the 'competition-professionals' are teaching. In the auditions before a competition, where obviously very interesting young musicians take part, many are simply not considered. Well, that is pure normality. I am living in China since a few years, a country with many incredibly talented people and very high interest in competitions. Here people talk very openly about 'useful' or 'not useful' teachers. A Jury member is always 'useful'. I assure you, this is not very pleasant and I understand all those who do not want to have anything to do with a competition, may they be teachers or students.
    This is one side of the medal. Now, we also should give credit to those competitors who actually take part in such an event! For many people it is hard to imagine how much stress lasts on those who enter the stage. It is easy to blame someone for mistakes or a weaker performance. I find it remarkable that in the Russian forum of this side many people have a very good sense of discrimination, and make very fine distinction between 'purely professional' execution or 'musicianship', etc. Personally I like to enjoy listening without needing to decide who is best. I regret a bit that the choice of people is so narrow. The piano literature is so rich, even among Beethoven's Sonatas there are some you never hear, not to mention about contemporary piano music. But the choice of a program is also rather a question of the above discussed circumstances in a competition. A live perfomance is always non-predictable. This means, one who plays badly today may play divinely tomorrow, or vice versa. Many of the very best musicians sometimes play so awfully bad, they are no machines. Easy case: forget the bad performances keep in mind the wonderful things people can do.

Last not least: A music competition is like a sports event, but rather like a sports event where you have no stop watches to measure precisely and indiscriminately. Numerous competitors and amateurs of music will not agree with many decisions. But in a competition everybody knows what he/she is up to. Taking part means playing by those rules. At the end be a sportsman/sportswoman and congratulate the winner!

Nitchego.

По умолчанию Re: About the Tchaikovsky competition and piano in particular

Do you all think the age of the participants may influence jury members' decision making?

For example, she is too young to win, or he has matured and is successful already, etc....

По умолчанию Re: Fairness and sports

If a pianist is good, they will raise to the top. That USED to be the rule. Winner of a competition or not. Now, is all more complicated, and its all about marketing. Look at LANG LANG (I think that is his name) terrific marketing for a good, solid player, but not for a "out of this world" pianist. Volodos has not the same marketing machine with him, but is much better (limited repertoire, in my opinion) - I think it is WORTH to spend the time and money on competitiions. Yes. They will showcase their talent to an audiencce who (in my opinion) still knows what they are talking about before they have to go and play to audiences who are merely mediocre and who cannot tell the difference betwen the good and the great.

Hannover still a terrific place for pianist, but not the only one.

I find it remarkable that in the Russian forum of this side many people have a very good sense of discrimination, and make very fine distinction between 'purely professional' execution or 'musicianship', etc.

This is the way it should be.

A live perfomance is always non-predictable.

Yes and not. A live performance from a well prepared performer will mot probably be a good performance.

Last not least: A music competition is like a sports event, but rather like a sports event where you have no stop watches to measure precisely and indiscriminately. Numerous competitors and amateurs of music will not agree with many decisions. But in a competition everybody knows what he/she is up to. Taking part means playing by those rules. At the end be a sportsman/sportswoman and congratulate the winner!

We DO NOT want stop watches to measure "anything" to that degree of precision. Music making is not a precise science. In China perhaps, you can train 10000 pianists to play at the same time. But THANK GOD that there are personalities, heart and love for music.

I always wonder if the participants have a desire to win the "fame" by coming to the competition. Winning will lead to get more opportuniies to perform at internationally recognized venus, and it will bring more money.

Then, participants should show their professional capacity, consistancy, and the jury members should see them if they can survive as professional performers to satisfy any audience everywhere on this planet.

One artice about the big piano boom in China I read recently indicates that Chinese parents see it as internationally recognized career path for their "I like piano." children.

If being a favourite student of this teacher, or that seems to be a big influence, it is all about marketing power, maybe. My former question about participants' age relates with this point, too. Would the prizes go to the matured performance, or more potential individuals?

Цитата Сообщение от Keiko Посмотреть сообщение
    I always wonder if the participants have a desire to win the "fame" by coming to the competition. Winning will lead to get more opportuniies to perform at internationally recognized venus, and it will bring more money.

Well............... I think that competitions are judges from their past. THe music competitions in general are very poud of their 30 years ago "past" and they build on this. The Tchaikovsdky competition would NEVER "advertise" names like Ayako Uehara. THey will always use the grand names for promotion and the students want to participate. Its normal.

Then, participants should show their professional capacity, consistancy, and the jury members should see them if they can survive as professional performers to satisfy any audience everywhere on this planet.

That is the point. but lets not forget that an audience in China will not have the same standars as one in Japan or Paris.

One artice about the big piano boom in China I read recently indicates that Chinese parents see it as internationally recognized career path for their "I like piano." children.

Lets not get into CHinal That is a country that only as "masses" of things and people. Very few exeptions and "individual cases". Everything in China is "en mase". Its my opinion.

If being a favourite student of this teacher, or that seems to be a big influence, it is all about marketing power, maybe. My former question about participants' age relates with this point, too. Would the prizes go to the matured performance, or more potential individuals?
    You can be a favourite of your teacher, but if you don't play well, people in competitions will not applaud. As sinple as that.

По умолчанию Nikolay Arnoldovich Petrov

Nikolay Arnoldovich Petrov, president of the Jury spend a lot time looking at his nails and at his hands and his nose during the performance of Andrey Korobejnikov. It looked very bad, and as if he was not (and he was not) paying any attention. Somebody has to tell this guy he is on TV.

По умолчанию Andrey Korobejnikov

Very good and solid performance. Yes, his Schubert was not German enough, in my opinion. It is a very difficult piece, from the intellectual point of view. His arrangement of the Musorgsky piece was VERY CREATIVE and wonder if he has done the complete cycle. Very good. His Dumka was beautiful, very well phrased and very poetic. Terrific. The performances would have been much better if Mr Nikolay Petrov would have given him the chance to finish the preludes, all of which were played in a magnificent conception. Bravo. I guess the break was more important than to leave a VERY GOOD pianist the chance to bring his performance to the end. Pity. And please, tell him to stop picking his nose on OK - Jose

По умолчанию Lima Dong Hek

Well, I have to confess he has improved since the Chopin Piano Competition. He is predictable good. All the notes are there, and the spirit too. However, I can still able to see (at least me) that he is a bit "foreing" to the pieces and to music in General. He also tends to "run" at the end of the pieces. His Chopin Sonata was very nice and "correct" but it laked the "soul". Same with the Prokofiev. Everything he played was good. Even VERY GOOD. But it had no "soul". Tchaikovsky was the best of everything. Anybody cares to comment. Jose. Have to go to the dentist.

• Страница 5 из 12 ПерваяПервая ... 456 ... ПоследняяПоследняя